If you are interested in becoming a referee there are some basic steps to follow.
The first would be to get certified with the state. This requires getting a grade 9 certification through classes offered by the state. You can go the state site (www.gareferees.com)
- Click on LOG IN
- Click on NEW USER (in green)
- Fill out username, password and personal info.
- Choose sign up for classes.
- Click on entry course R9
- Choose date and location.
New referee class October 7,2018
Bunten Road Park building
10 am - 6 pm
Age 14 to adult: Walk up code for R8 class is 9046. Grade / Age code is 38054.
Walk up code for R9 is 6109. Grade /Age code is 76566.
As a new referee, here are some tips to help you.
1) A referee should be at the field 30 minutes prior to game time, dressed and ready to go. This allows you enough time to sign in with the supervisors, get to your assigned field, check in teams, check the field, goals etc.; and start the game on time.
2) Always bring water and snacks/lunch with you. The concessions stand should be open and water provided, but you never want to be without water especially. Hydrate—start drinking extra water from Thursday before your games on Saturday. Bananas are great to prevent leg cramps.
3) If you play soccer, always allow extra time to get from/to your game to referee. You want to make sure you have enough time to change uniforms and arrive on time. Refer to #1 above.
4) Remember — referees are human. We make mistakes. The important thing is to learn and grow from them with the referee mentor's help. Do not let coaches, players or parents bother you. You took the referee class, you passed; learn the rules and do your best.